Overcome the obstacles of reaching readers on smartphones
Two-thirds of email recipients open your email on their smartphones, not their laptops (Adestra). Three-quarters most often check their messages on mobile devices (Fluent).
Some 7% read your email newsletters in the bathroom (NNG). And the other 93% are lying.
Problem is, reading your email newsletter on the small screen is like reading War and Peace through a keyhole. It’s not easy to get the word out on a 3”x6” rectangle.
When reading emails on their mobile devices, recipients:
- Click 40% less often (Mailchimp). They also click on fewer links. There go your click-through rates. There go your landing page hits.
- Find it 48% harder to understand content (R.I. Singh, et al., University of Alberta).
- Become more likely to unsubscribe. If your message doesn’t work on smartphones, say goodbye to prospects. More than half of consumers have unsubscribed from a brand’s promotional emails because they didn’t work well on mobile (Litmus).
How’re we doing at mobile email? Some 4 in 10 find marketing emails to be poorly designed for mobile devices (250OK and 42labs). And more than one-quarter find “how it fits my screen” an important element of email design.
Subscribers rate the ease of reading email on mobile devices 3.3/7 — aka miserable.
— Nielsen Norman Group
Bottom line: Subscribers rate the ease of reading email on mobile devices 3.3/7 — aka miserable (NNG).
Want to get your email message across on the small screen? Write more readable copy and prioritize links carefully.
How can you reach email recipients on mobile?
Problem is, reading your email newsletter on the small screen is like reading War and Peace through a keyhole. It’s not easy to get the word out on a 5.5” rectangle.
So how do you reach recipients via email newsletters and marketing promotions?
Find out at Think Inside the Inbox — our email-writing workshop, starting on Dec. 12.
You’ll leave with tricks, tips and techniques for writing emails that get opened, read, clicked and shared.
Save up to $100 with our group discounts.