It’s a $37 million problem a year at one organization
Bad writing causes 40% of the cost of managing business transactions, writes William H. DuBay, a readability expert at Impact Information, in Working with Plain Language (PDF).
- Newsletters that reach only a fraction of the targeted audience
- Press releases that never make the news
- Websites that fail to inform and motivate readers to act
- Forms and applications that are badly filled in or left incomplete
- Memos and business letters that require endless clarification
- Legal notices and procedures that no one can read
How much is bad writing costing your organization?
Reach more readers with simple readability tweaks
“The problem with communication,” said George Bernard Shaw, “is the illusion that it has been accomplished.”
No kidding. Send out a message that’s written at the 11th grade level, for instance, and 97% of U.S. adults won’t be able to understand it, according to the Department of Education’s latest adult literacy test.
At Cut Through the Clutter — our two-day concise-writing master class on Aug. 17-18 in San Francisco — you’ll dive into the results of this massive worldwide literacy study to get a reality check on the level at which your readers really read. (Prepare to be depressed!)
Then you’ll find out how to write easy-to-read messages that get more people to read your piece, read more of it, read it faster, understand it better and remember it longer.
Specifically, you’ll learn how to:
- Write at a reading level that really reaches readers. Chances are, you’re vastly overestimating your audience members’ literacy rate, according to a massive international study
- Plan your communications for special audience challenges. Older people, health care consumers, mobile users — maybe even your CEO — may need more help than you realize.
- Sell your boss on the bottom-line business value of making messages more readable. (The U.S. Navy, for instance, saved more than $27 million in officer time by increasing readability.)
- Increase reading by up to 75% by making one change to your message.
- Measure, monitor, manage and report readability — your No. 1 tool for making your messages more effective.
Save $100 when you register by May 17.
This is the only concise media-writing workshop we’ve scheduled for 2017. Don’t miss out. Register now.
Learn to Master the Art of the Storyteller, Catch Your Readers, Get Clicked, Cut Through the Clutter and more
Rather bring Ann in to train your whole team?
Ask about piggybacking on my upcoming engagements in: