Stop wasting readers’ time
They ‘get visibly angry’ at verbose sites
Here’s an interesting dichotomy: Killing time is the killer app for mobile devices. But mobile users are in a hurry and “get visibly angry” at verbose sites that waste their time.
“Even relaxation is purposeful behavior,” according to usability expert Jakob Nielsen. “In information foraging theory, users seek to maximize their cost/benefit ratio. That is, people want more thrills and less interaction overhead.”
Learn to write webpages, blog posts and social media messages that reach readers online in this digital-writing workshop
Online, constant problem-solving (to click or not to click?) and divided attention (you’ve got mail!) lead to cognitive overload. (One researcher even found that reading on the screen temporarily lowers your IQ more than smoking weed!)
“Try reading a book while doing a crossword puzzle,” writes Nicholas G. Carr, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains. “That’s the intellectual environment of the internet.”
So, in this environment, how do we reach readers online?
Here’s the good news: At Get Clicked, Read, Shared & Liked — our two-day online-writing master class on July 27-28 in Portland, and on Dec. 11-12 in Miami — you’ll learn techniques for overcoming the obstacles of reading on the screen to get the word out on the web, in social media and via content marketing.
Specifically, you’ll learn how to:
- Think Like a Friend, Fan or Follower: Offer news you can use, and watch your reach and influence grow.
- Create Content Marketing Pieces That Almost Write Themselves: Get our fill-in-the-blanks templates for tipsheets, survey stories and more.
- Cut Through the Clutter Online: Overcome the obstacles of reading on the screen.
- Lift Ideas Off the Screen: Draw visitors in, increase open rates — even reach nonreaders — with microcontent.
- Get an online writing workout with Wylie: Take your blog post, webpage or status update from ‘meh’ to masterpiece when you practice your new skills on your own work.
This is the only online-writing workshop we have planned in Portland in 2017. Don’t miss out on your chance to master online-writing in Portland! Register now.
Learn to Master the Art of the Storyteller, Catch Your Readers, Get Clicked, Cut Through the Clutter and more
Rather bring Ann in to train your whole team?
Ask about piggybacking on my upcoming engagements in: