Six secrets of persuasion
Robert Cialdini shares his principles of influence
How can you move people to act?
Circles of influence Learn these 6 principles to move people to act. Image by Anne Adrian
In Influence: Science & Practice, Robert Cialdini shares these six principles of persuasion.
|Robert Cialdini’s ‘universal principles of social influence’|
|1.||Reciprocation||We feel obligated to return favors performed for us.||When waiters gave diners extra mints after their meals, tips increased by more than 14%.|
|2.||Authority||We look to experts to show us the way.||When an executive published the credentials of people brought in to turn around a London bureau, the government monitoring and advisory panel was more accepting of the rate and type of change the team made.|
Read full article >
“Remember that a man’s name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in the English language.”
— Dale Carnegie, self-improvement guru
How to win attention and influence people
It’s counterintuitive, but true: The product is never the topic. The program is never the topic. The plan is never the topic. The topic is never the topic.
Think Like a Reader Write to and about your readers, not about “us and our stuff.” Image by NickiMM
The reader is always the topic.
If you want to reach readers, you need to write to and about your readers, not about “us and our stuff.”
At Catch Your Readers — our two-day writing master class on March 22-23, 2017, in Las Vegas — you’ll learn a four-step process for moving readers to act by giving them what they really want.
Specifically, you’ll learn how to:
- Take advantage of the formula readers use to determine which messages to pay attention to (and which to toss).
- Tap two rewards of reading you can use to boost audience interest in your message.
- Answer the No. 1 question your reader is asking, regardless of your topic, medium or channel.
- Make a two-minute perspective shift to focus your message on the value to readers — not on “us and our stuff.”
- Use a three-letter word that magically makes your message more relevant to your readers.
- Take Your Message From ‘Meh’ to Masterpiece. Master the techniques you learn in class with our hands-on practice sessions
This is the only writing workshop we have planned in Las Vegas in 2017. Don’t miss out on your chance to Catch Your Readers in Vegas! Register now.
“I am a better writer today than I was two days ago.”
— Chelsea Didde Rice, communications specialist, Ascend Learning
Learn to Master the Art of the Storyteller, Catch Your Readers, Get Clicked, Cut Through the Clutter and more
Rather bring Ann in to train your whole team?
Save when you book a workshop while I’m in your neighborhood
Ask about piggybacking on my upcoming engagements in:
- Chicago: May 18-19, 2017
- Dallas: Oct. 16-17, 2017
- Des Moines: Feb. 8, 2017
- Fresno, CA: Jan. 24, 2017
- Geneva: Dec. 1
- Houston: Nov. 2-3
- Jackson, Mississippi: Nov. 9
- Kansas City: Nov. 16-17, 2017
- Las Vegas: March 22-23, 2017
- Los Angeles: Feb. 23-24, 2017
- Miami: Dec. 11-12, 2017
- New Orleans: Nov. 7
- New York: Sept. 25-16, 2017
- Portland: July 27-28, 2017
- San Francisco: Aug. 17-18, 2017
- Washington, D.C.: April 6-7, 2017
- White Plains, New York: Dec. 13
Keep up with my calendar.